Sunday 7 August 2011

Annual trip to Cowslip.

Warning! - photo heavy post.

This week we went to Launceston in Cornwall for our group's annual trip. It is always well supported and a fabulous day out. It never disappoints.

First stop is Cowslip Studio run by the delightful Jo Colwill. I have mentioned Cowslip before and ladies( and any gents reading this)this place really does have to be on your agenda if you are in this part of the world. The views are magnificent, the food delicious and there are fabulous quilts to see and you can shop. Everywhere you look is a feast for the eyes. Jo tries to involve everyone and there is something on the agenda at all times of the year. Cowslip will soon be on Facebook so you will be able to follow them and plan your itinerary around it.

This is the entrance and it is always inviting and luring you in to see what is beyond. The garden is a delight and a proper cottage garden. The cafe is also at the end of the garden.



You can sit in the cafe and look at quilts on display and sit on lovely patchwork cushions. The food is cooked on an Aga and the food is all locally produced and organic.



Inside, the shop is packed to the rafters as you can see. I have fallen in love with both of the larger quilts. The one on the left had me buying lots of fabric to make it. The quilt on the right is being offered as a class with my lovely friend Sue from I sew Quilts. It is a popular class.



This year there were two exhibitions showcasing very different styles of work.

This is from the Garden Designs by Susan Denton. This quilt was fabulous. I hope that when you click on it you will be able to see the lovely quilting. Appropriately this exhibition was hanging up in the barn.



This wallhanging is the work of Dee Anne McCoull. It took Dee several months of non stop hard work to complete and is her interpretation of the devastation in Japan. It is an amazing piece of work.



After the delicious lunch we then head back into Launceston town centre to visit The Flowerpatch Quilters exhibition. Again this is a delight. It is a large group and therefore they can manage to produce a lot of work each year. They also showcase the exhibition with beautiful floral displays.



This very simple quilt is the work of Jo Colwill and features her trade mark quilting of her cows. I thought this one was just so lovely in it's simplicity.



I think this quilt also belongs to Jo but I wanted you to see the exquisite quilting on this. It was long arm quilted by someone local. Jo has the details if anyone wants one like it.



Beautiful display of apples.



Chooks on guard, doing what chooks do.



There were so many quilts and only so much space to show them. Hope you enjoyed the visit.

These were my purchases. Plus one or two more that I haven't shown.



My itchy little fingers also did a bit of clicking and I am the proud owner of this pattern by Trish Harper. Keep them coming Trish I love your work. The pattern can be bought from Liz at Broderie.



Finally, I had a lovely surprise through the post the other day all the way from Australia from my lovely blogging friend Elyte. Thank you for thinking of me Elyte and I shall put them to good use and not use them as dusters as you suggested. I am thinking bag so that I can put those lovely buttons on it.



Do leave me a comment as I love to hear from you. Many of you tell me that you read my ramblings.

Happy Stitching

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness.. what a trip!!! Wish I could have joined you there.. :o)
    Thanks for showing all the beauties.. and your shopping.. love them!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great day out by the look of it! Pink fabric - you do surprise me! Not! Look forward to seeing all three new projects ....?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I wish I could go on trips like that. Well maybe when the boys grow up.
    Love the fabrics ,I have a few of them myself.
    Can't wait to see what you do with them.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered how long it would be before you posted this! It was a lovely day, with great company - looking forward to seeing the outcome of all your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for such a lovely post. I will definitely have to come back to visit a castle and Cowslip Studio. I am sure that you did mention it but I must have forgotten to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect day out! What could be better? Love your shopping too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to spend a day and I will certainly try to get there one day. It looks like you were surrounded with amazing inspirational projects and you have lots to keep you out of mischief in your fabulous sewing space! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow there is lots of beauty there! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great trip - lots of neat things to see and buy!! The quilting on the Garden Designs quilt is very cute. Love all the displays. Looking forward to seeing what you do with Elyte's gift :-) {Not to mention your new pattern....!}

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, when you said annual visit, I knew I was in for a great adventure. Loved loved the quilts. Your photos are always perfect for my mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh what a lovely trip, lots of gorgeous things and i love the 'people in the garden' quilt, quirky and fun ! thanks shirley !

    ReplyDelete
  12. A combination of all things delightful. I would love to visit such a shop. At least I got a virtual visit. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous day out, the shop looks wonderful. I do love the purchases too. Thanks for sharing the photos of the quilts, they're always such a treat to look at. The one of Japan made me sad but oh boy, it's amazing. I'll look forward to seeing you use those fabrics soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great day out, thank you for taking us through the quilt shop...love the quilts!
    yes the one of Japan is sad...beautiful work though!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous post. Have had a lovely time drooling, especially over your purchases. What a wonderful name, Cowslip Studio.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful, thanks for sharing. XO

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a very inspirational visit...I could do with a weekend like that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cowslip looks wonderful. I saw dancing dollies in the flesh last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Shirely that was just devine! What a gorgeous place. I loved all your photos and your purchases. Thanks so much for the wonderful tour I knew it would be wonderful with your photo of the entrance.
    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. How I wish we had some place as unique and elegant and inspirational around here. What fun to eat and relax and look at such wonderful quilts all the while. That would be heavenly.

    You've shared some wonderful goodies, yummy fabric and pattern and little extras, and I'm sure you'll have great fun working on projects with them.

    I'm unfamiliar with "chooks" -- is that a rooster or any chicken? I LOVE learning new terms and words I've not heard before.

    ReplyDelete