Friday 26 October 2012

Hexagon Bag



It has been a productive week stitching wise. Last night I finally finished the Brigitte Giblin hexagon bag. Sewing the frame to the bag was fiddly and there were several failed attempts and some serious unpicking as I realised that the shape of the bag no way matched the shape of the frame. My faulty sewing, not Brigitte's pattern and definitely not the frame. Once I had the shape right it went into the frame easily and I am now contemplating making the new i-pad bag which is bigger and made of diamond shapes. Again, all the fabrics were leftovers from other things. It is being guarded by a tiny chicken pincushion bought many years ago from a sales table at a quilt show.
 
 
 
Quilting has commenced on the Mountain Trail Quilt. I am quilting it in the centres of each strip and down each trail. I hadn't intended such dense quilting but as I have used some leftover polydown just quilting the pale panels left the rest of the strips looking very puffy so, it has to be done. It feels divine. Nothing beats the feel of hand quilting and it may not be perfect but, it will be done sometime this year. You may quote me here.
 
 
 
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? In an effort to use up what I have I found a piece of fabric suitable for the backing but it was a little bit short. What to do? Deep in the depths of a dark box there lurked a very small orphan block, paper pieced many moons ago. It must have been done for a reason, I know not what, but it's time came to be used and by adding corner triangles and strips to either side and by cutting the backing in two pieces and adding the new pieced strip, Voila! Backing now big enough.
 
 
 
Apologies for the blurred image, I know I am rubbish at this but you get the idea. It is another level on the app game and just look at the possibilities for the rose star shape. Is it time wasted playing a game and exercising the old grey cells or is it being creative by sparking off lots of ideas in my head?


Here in old Blighty it is wet and damp and cold and the heating is on. Hope you are staying warm or cool where you are and doing some sewing.

Happy Stitching.

Shirley.





21 comments:

  1. Your hexagonbag is so lovely.
    And your handquilting is also so beautiful.
    Liebe Grüße Grit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag looks fantastic! I love it. I like the bigger hexies and the shape of the bag is great too. Love your log cabins, the quilting will be perfect.
    That little game has produced a beautiful pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hexagon bag is darling. Great job! I can understand why it took a couple tries to get the frame on right. The results were worth it.
    I love to hand quilt, too. This little quilt calls for it. Isn't it fun to use something that has sat around for a long time. Part of a perfect back for this quilt.
    Not wasted time if you are enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little hexagon purse...yes those frames can be a bit tricky to get them to fit right, you did a great job.
    Love the Mountain Trail...hand-quilting is perfect for this one.
    So much scrap busting going on there Shirley...well done!
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bag. I too hand quilt my Mountrain Trail but in the ditch of every log, not certain to have it finished for monday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok so the app is not a time waster, but a brain teaser. Might have to get that one myself. The purse is gorgeous Shirley and make sure you use it.
    I love hand quilting too and Mountain Trail will look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bag......
    Your little mountain trail quilt is coming along nicely.
    Lots of possibilities with the app too!
    What's it called??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling bag!! Thank you for another delightful post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness...that is the most darling little bag I have seen...it's gorgeous!!! And you say they have a bigger one for iPads???? Tell me more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely hexagon purse and so beautifully made - I usually avoid these challenging projects. Just adore the Mountain Trail quilt and it must be such a joy to hand quilt. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hexagon bag is beautiful and so is Mountain Trail,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in deepest Houston I have found the perfect hexagon challenge/inspiration for you - pictures and orders follow on my return! The bag looks terrific, well done that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a divine little hexagon bag. I admire your determination and perseverance with your hand quilting. I love the look and feel of hand quilting but I'm just too impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Shirley - how did I miss this gorgeous little bag?!! It is beautiful - well done!! And I love your mountain trails - I am so tempted to do this - looks like a great use of scraps -hand quilting it will be just lovely :-) I think the app game is a great way of helping you stretch the brain cells - go for it I say - love what you have come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the hexagon bag and your mountain trails is looking good.

    Shall look out for it on Lori's blog. These quilt alongs are fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The hexagon bag looks wonderful Shirley! It must have been lots of work. I am sure lots of eyes will be drawn to it when you wear it on the street.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful hexie bag Shirley. I'm looking forward to watching you make the iPad one... all those diamonds think how many more pretty scraps you can utilise. Impressed with your hand quilting too.... brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the bag! You love hexies! You have thousands of them done so you have many weeks of projects to showcase. I love the bag truly!
    Did you get snow? I read that England got a storm...we are here in Florida, amongst the dolphins...oh, sorry about that! grins,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just been having a big catch up on all the lovely thigs you have done recently. Being away for a month, you miss a lot. The hexagon bag is gorgeous, love the fussy cut ones.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I look forward to seeing the mountain trail quilt done, I love your colours.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have yet to try my hand at a purse. I have a sew-in frame but that's as far as I've got.

    ReplyDelete