Wednesday 22 April 2015

Trip Around The World

At last I have got my Trip Around The World quilt top to a finished state. As the rounds got bigger and took more time the enthusiasm waned somewhat. I took the decision to end at row 28. It is a decent throw size at roughly 62 inches. Amazingly, the triangles for the outside edge were stitched at record speed once the decision had been made. 

Started as a on line challenge via Facebook, hosted and designed by Brigitte Giblin in 2014. Based on a quilt in Brigitte's collection.

Red spot fabric was compulsory for the challenge and to be used at  certain stages. One row we signed up for a swap. My swap came from Australia. My swap partner turned out to be a friend of another blogging friend and I had the perfect fabric. My swap fabric went to America. 

It is hand pieced, seam allowances eyeballed and not marked. Not pressed either except with a bit of finger pressing.

It has been a fun project to work on and every time a new fabric was added it changed the whole appearance. The online support and encouragement was and still is amazing and the quilts simply stunning. Each and every one.

So, here it is. 




Today I had a little visit to Dotty Dolly Quilt Shop and found the perfect backing fabric. I introduced Maisie to the delights of a quilt shop and I think she quite liked it especially the lovely nursery prints. Anything with dogs and lions are a winner. Mind you, I think she was more interested in playing with the toy counting frame. 



I think the quilting will be simple cross hatching. Undecided on thread but have a varied selection to choose from. It may be a while now before you see it again.

Thank you Brigitte for an amazing experience.

Happy Stitching.

Shirley.

21 comments:

  1. It's beautiful Shirley...pink, very you!
    I love TAW, great stash buster if making a scrappy one.
    Julia ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your TAW turned out lovely. So many fabrics you had to pick. I love that fact that you hand stitched it without marking the seam allowance. Brave gal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Beautiful Shirley! Such a lot of work and quite an experience for you. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Shirley, it looks lovely.
    Glad your getting Maisie in training. Get them young I say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. I can't believe you pieced it without marking, you must have a very good eye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Shirley,
    how pretty, such lovely colors.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've already admired your finished top on IG and I have to say it again; it's just fantastic. And the backing fabric is brilliant. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks fabulous Shirley and I am sure you will ensure cuddling up with it. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fantastic Shirley. I hadn't realised that you were doing it all by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! What a finish! Well done, it looks fabulous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow -- it's gorgeous! I LOVE your pretty pinks -- now when I see pink quilts I think of you and Stina LOL. My TAW is up to round 31 -- I'm really wanting to go to somewhere in the 40s so that it will fit a bed. Hoping to get back to it this summer -- by my count, square-wise, I should be about half-way. Sad to think there's so much left, but I'm really enjoying it! And what I really enjoy is exactly what you said -- isn't it amazing how each new row changed the whole look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful Shirley!! Awesome work! I too hadn't realised you were doing the whole top by hand! Hand quilting too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very beautiful quilt. love the pink colours!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Evelyne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very beautiful, love your colours ! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shirley, that is SO pretty! I love your color choices. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the process and liked how it changed with each new row. I think too often I am too focused on the end result, but I am trying to relax and appreciate the entire process.

    Take care,
    Susan in Texas
    susanintexas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. As you know, I really love this one. So glad that it is staying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness... A week old post ..how could I have missed this one... smitten... Yes I think so...lol... And this quilt is soooo pretty...and I know because I have seen it in real life...and long to see it complete in Birmingham ...:0)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's fantastic! Congratulations on all that piecing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Shirley !! I'm late for my comment !
    Wow...how awesome ! You realised a very gorgeous quilt with beautiful colors !!
    Bravo ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very pretty! And nice that you are introducing Maisie to the wonderful world of fabrics....a quilter needs to start young!

    ReplyDelete